The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's A Mystery

So here's another mystery I've encountered here in France, perhaps someone out there can help me with it. Why oh why can't I find a candle that actually gives off a scent in this country??? I've visited so many stores just in search of a candle that smells good in the package, and I've bought several that I thought had potential but everytime I bring them home and light them, I can never smell them. And trust me it's not just me who has noticed this, so it's not anything wrong with my nose.

Are the French just truly against good smelling things, and if so why are they the ones creating parfume? But then again, why are they also so well known for their makeups yet none of the Frenchwomen actually wear makeup?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure, but, right now, I think France has a little more to worry about than scented candles...

Anonymous said...

I think it all boils down to the fact that the French have an aversion to bathing and smelling good. They'd rather be au naturale than put on perfume or makeup. Apparently they just export it all. Solve the mustard mystery first! AND don't forget to bring me back a suitcase full of it and some pink champagne and that spicy oil they put on pizzas, mmmm.

Anonymous said...

Lets not gloss over this candle mystery. Why do the french create parfume and makeup and then refuse to partake in the bounties of their country. Do they know something we don't? Are they secretly creating products to poision Americans and others? Maybe they just believe in Au natural. They also make great smelling soaps but don't use them. I think we are on to something, lets continue to investigate. I live in a land that uses scented soaps, candles, room sprays, parfume, incense, body powder,frebreez,carpet powder, scented oils and car freshners. Whats up? Who is right. I guess it's what you have to do to live in our society and you have to stink,have a blank face, and crazy hair to live in France. Vive La France. I bet France really smelled in the early years, what with the plague and all. Oh well deep down we all stink. I am going to go shower now. ;)